What to expect during your consultation
When you arrive you will be greeted by our friendly staff. We have a caring, experienced team of nurses and staff to help make the totality of your experience with us fulfilling and comfortable. During the consultation with Dr. Kim, you will discuss your concerns and goals. Dr. Kim will ask you a number of questions about your health, desires and lifestyle in order to then determine a treatment plan.
Be prepared to discuss:
- Why you want surgery, your expectations and desired outcome
- Medical conditions, drug allergies and medical treatments
- Use of current medications, vitamins, herbal supplements, alcohol, tobacco and drugs
- Previous surgeries
- Family history of cancer and results of any mammograms or previous biopsies
- Any history of bleeding problems
Dr. Kim may also:
- Evaluate your general health status and any pre-existing health conditions or risk factors
- Take photographs for your medical record
- Discuss your options and recommend a course of treatment
- Discuss likely outcomes of surgical treatment and any risks or potential complications
- Discuss the use of anesthesia during your procedure
Prior to surgery, you may be asked to:
- Get lab testing or a medical evaluation
- Take certain medications or adjust your current medications
- Stop smoking well in advance of surgery (at least 6-8 weeks prior to surgery)
- Avoid taking aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs and herbal supplements as they can increase bleeding
- Complete a pre-operative phone screen/visit
Just before surgery
You will be given a list of medicines and supplements to avoid before surgery. It is recommended that you be at your regular stable weight. Aspirin should be avoided for at least a week before surgery, and motrin/advil for 48 hours before surgery. It is required that you do not eat for the six hours before surgery. You should have no chance of being pregnant at the time of surgery.
Special instructions you receive will cover:
- What to do on the day of surgery including where to report for the procedure
- Post-operative care and follow-up
You’ll need help
If your procedure is performed on an outpatient basis, be sure to arrange for someone to drive you to and from surgery and to stay with you for at least the first night following surgery.
More about Dr. John Kim
Dr. John Kim is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in Chicago patients trust to provide superior care and excellent aesthetic results. Dr. Kim has more than 10 years of experience in cosmetic and reconstructive procedures and is proud to provide Chicago breast augmentation, breast reconstruction and body contouring patients with advanced treatments. To schedule a consultation, contact Dr. Kim at 312-695-3615.